Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Mirro-Matic Pressure Pan: Recipes Directions Time-Tables

 by Mirro Aluminum Company 1958

Why does it seem I have so many pressure cooker recipe books? I don't know, and I don't know if I'll ever truly get over my fear of using a pressure cooker. This time as per usual I was hiding around the corner in the living room waiting for the explosion.
According to the Mirro Aluminum Company of Manitowoc, Wisconsin their product  is America's Most Wanted Pressure Pan! Yea!

Stuffed Pork Chops

This is a very simple recipe and I'm sure would have turned out just lovely had I thoroughly read the instructions before I set out to make it.

4 pork chops cut 1 1/2" thick with pocket along side of bone
1 1/2 c croutons (bread cubes browned in butter)
2 Tbsp parsley
3/4 tsp Salt
dash Pepper
 2 Tbsp Butter or margarine, melted
1 10 1/2 oz. can Consomme
1/2 cup water

Stuff pork chops with croutons and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Brown chops in hot fat in Mirro-Matic! (emphasis mine)
Place browned meat on rack in pan.
Add consomme and water.
Cover, set control at 10 (or however 10 lbs pressure translates on your cooker) and cook 12-15 minutes after control jiggles. (Ah, how far kitchen technology has come! We no longer need expect our cooking implements to jiggle as a sign from the Great Almighty that some action is required of us! That verb now only designates Jell-o or cellulite!) But I digress....
Cool pan normally for 5 minutes, then place under faucet (just follow directions for your particular cooker). Thicken gravy. See below.

Gravy

1 cup stock (liquid from cooked meat)
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup cold water

Blend flour and cold water together until it is smooth.
Gradually add to the stock, stirring constantly.
Cook over medium heat, stirring, until gravy is smooth and thickened.

Confessional time:
Okay, now for my big screw-up! My pressure cooker did not come with a rack and I don't own one small enough to fit! So my poor pork chops had to sit in the bottom of the pan with all their juices leaching out. I was so bummed because the flavor of the gravy was really good. So let my stupidity be a lesson to you. Always make sure you have all the equipment you need on hand. It's not just about having all the ingredients!


Next up...

Potato Salad and Frankfurters

This one sounded kind of strange.. so I figured it was right up my alley.

5-6 medium size potatoes
1 lb. frankfurters, sliced
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup vinegar
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped

Place the sliced potatoes in your pressure cooker. 
Put frankfurters on top of potatoes.
Thoroughly mix salt, pepper, oil, vinegar, and sugar.
pour this mixture over potatoes and add the onions.
Cover, set control at 15 (or whatever that is on your cooker) and cook 2 1/2 minutes after control jiggles.
Reduce pressure instantly.
Add parsley, mix well before serving.
Serves 4

This recipe, I am sorry to say, was a bomb! I timed it very carefully but I knew even as I was taking the cooker off the burner that it was burnt. I used the immediate pressure release but the damage was done. The entire bottom of my pressure cooker was charred. 

In order to give some sort of review I salvaged what wasn't burnt onto the bottom and put it in a bowl. Blech! Nothing, just nothing. It tasted exactly like each individual ingredient, cooked potatoes, hot dogs, onions, and a slight tang. The ingredients didn't meld to become a "finished product" and I would never call it a salad, potato or otherwise. 
Just a big dud! What a disappointment!



No comments:

Post a Comment